Ms Johnson's English
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Question One

+12
nick d
Jerry
jackko
naylorm
Harry
William Rankin
Andrew Sott
Jonathan Fee
Duttonj
Ben W
glovero
Admin
16 posters

Go down

Question One Empty Question One

Post  Admin Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:25 am

What clues are we given in this chapter that Li’s family is very poor?

Admin
Admin

https://msjohnsonenglish.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Question One Empty What clues are we given in this chapter that Li’s family is very poor?

Post  glovero Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:09 am

Some clues are Li’s family has barely any clothes and his clothes have been hand made. He also has to share a room with all of his brothers. His parents are peasants that work in the filed all day and there house Is a very simple house they had no heaters so in the winter it got very cold. Also if someone got sick they did not have the money to take them to the doctor.

glovero

Back to top Go down

Question One Empty Ben W's question 1

Post  Ben W Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:50 am

Some clues given in chapter 1 are that the clothes the they wear are hand made and they have to share a room with about 3 or 4 other people. The parents are peasants and they live in a simple house where he has to share a room with about 3 or 4 people. If one of them gets sick his parents wouldn't have the money to take them to the doctor to get them cured.

Ben W

Back to top Go down

Question One Empty answer

Post  Duttonj Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:52 am

The clues that this book shows that Li's is poor is that his entire family including uncles, aunties and cousins so 20 people crammed into a 6 room house. Any of the clothes Li's family get are usually home made by there mother and if they get new clothes it is a very lucky day. Li's parents work in the fields all day everyday just to get food for there family and some money to buy important things. if Li's family needs doctor they usually cannot get one so they have to use local remedies to cure diseases. lol!
Duttonj
Duttonj

Back to top Go down

Question One Empty Answer to Question 1:

Post  Jonathan Fee Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:57 am

The Li family lives in a small, cold, poorly built house with no heaters, so in winter, everyone and thing gets cold except the 'kang' (stove). pale Also everyone wears hand made clothes that there niang (mum) makes. Most of the clothes are old pieces of cloth. If anyone gets sick they won't be able to see a doctor so they would have to use there ancient remadites to cure the sickness.
Jonathan Fee
Jonathan Fee

Back to top Go down

Question One Empty ANDOTRAIN's

Post  Andrew Sott Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:07 am

there are some clues in this chapter that suggest that the Li family is very poor such as... Dia works two jobs a day to try and make money and Niang works in the fields all day as well. yet to speak about that all seven of the boys are almost always famished and parched, and the only food that the eat is dried yams. they couldn't afford any refrigeration or running water. on page 9 Li says "when i was younger i was lying in boiling hot water and i badly burnt the middle of my arm, i was screaming, my niang thought i wanted milk but she didn't have any left so she didn't respond. but by the time she came to check on me my arm had swollen up and blistering, my parents could afford to take me to the Hospital, the eventually had to borrow money from relatives to take me to the hospital". And so they are the clues that i found in this chapter! No
Andrew Sott
Andrew Sott

Back to top Go down

Question One Empty Li's family is very poor

Post  William Rankin Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:40 am

Li's family is very poor and you can tell this by the things they eat like dried yams and the how they treat wounds e.g. they would put dust on there cuts instead of band-aids because the couldn't afford them.

they couldn't afford to go to the hospital for serious things like when his niang collapses because they don't have enough money.

you could also tell they are poor by the amount of money they earn, the minimum amount men would earn was less than two US dollars a day if they worked hard enough and the women would earn less than that even when they did the same amount of work.

the easiest way to tell they were poor was the features of there house e.g. they all slept in the same bed and how the floorgot wet so they had to wait for the earth to dry before they could put it down again.

William Rankin

Back to top Go down

Question One Empty Chapter 1 Question 1

Post  Harry Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:17 am

Some clues in chapter one that the Li family is very poor that they have over twenty people crammed into a 6 room house and you would have to share a room with a couple over people. In the house there was no refrigeration and no running water, only a huge clay pot for storing drinking water. They had no bathroom to use. If someone gets hurt or very sick they usually don't have enough money to go hospital or buy medicine.
Harry
Harry

Back to top Go down

Question One Empty What clues are we given in this chapter that Li’s family is very poor?

Post  naylorm Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:32 pm

Li’s family is pretty poor for example Li’s mother’s feet are not bound; they don’t have enough to eat or have enough money to buy new clothes. They also have to squeeze 20 people into a 6 bedroom house and their heath system is terrible.

naylorm

Back to top Go down

Question One Empty Mao's Last Dancer Chapter 1

Post  jackko Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:05 am

Many clues have been given in this chapter that prove Li’s family was very poor. First of all, they have are a big family which consists of mother, father, 7 sons and many other people which added up to over 20 people. The house totally had 6 rooms so they had to share a room and bed. It was a small simple house which didn’t have heater and refrigeration and no running water, they only had a huge clay pot for storing drinking water. His father was a peasant who had to work all day for the children and other people. Also, they had no bathroom, only a toilet in front courtyard which is a hole in the ground.

Last edited by jackko on Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

jackko

Back to top Go down

Question One Empty Re: Question One

Post  Jerry Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:13 am

Lis don't have transport they have to walk on foot to places. When Cunxin lost his basket and spade at the airway and he told his brother, his brother immediately tell him to get it back because they cannot afford new ones. Cunxin walk to the beach and if he find a dead fish he count it as lucky
Jerry
Jerry

Back to top Go down

Post  nick d Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:15 am

The family's way of treating illnesses and cuts. Also Li talks about the house he lives in.

nick d

Back to top Go down

Question One Empty Question 1

Post  Liam Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:53 am

Evidence to support how poor this family was is the quote: "Clothes were stored in papier-mache boxes my mother made, stacked on the two small beds during the day and moved onto the floor at night" "The main bedroom was also the room were my family ate"
Liam
Liam

Back to top Go down

Question One Empty question 1

Post  Zac Comley Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:18 am

Some clues that that we are given are that they had over twenty people crammed into a six-room house. They had no refrigeration and no running water only a huge clay pot for storing drinking water. Their floors were reddish earth and during wet weather water seeped through the earth and made the floor very wet and it got very cold because they had no heaters. They had barely any clothes and were hand made and were stored in Papier-mâché boxes made by their mum. Their parents had to work in the fields. Also it was very hard to get well if you were sick because they didn’t have enough money to go to the doctor and get vaccination.

Zac
Zac Comley
Zac Comley

Back to top Go down

Post  David J Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:49 am

There are some clues in the books that tells us that they are very poor. They lived in a six people house and there are 20 people in the house all crammed in. In winter, they had to use half burnt coil for the heaters and they had no money to buy so they had to dig. When they had a wound, they couldn't go to a doctor so they had to use some dust from the windowsill to let the blood not go through. They barely had any food to eat and they had no refrigerator so they had to eat the food quickly or eat dried yams. Dried yams were the most hated food in the family since it doesn't taste like anything but chokes in their mouth. Also, they had no money to go to the doctors when they were sick so the parents just told kids not to be afraid.
To survive, my niang worked every spared hour she had in the fields, as well as cooking and looking after her boys. Often she had to swallow her pride and borrow food from relatives or neighbours.
David J
David J

Back to top Go down

Post  jedd b Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:04 am

Some of the clues that are given is that they have to eat practicably the same food every day dried yams and they have old news papers as wallpaper and insulation and that they do not have a car. they had to share a six room house between over 20 people. Smile

jedd b

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down