Ms Johnson's English
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Question Three

+13
naylorm
Liam
BenJ
Duttonj
Jonathan Fee
Ben W
Jerry
Andrew Sott
glovero
Zac Comley
Harry
William Rankin
Admin
17 posters

Go down

Question Three Empty Question Three

Post  Admin Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:30 am

Li uses the Chinese words niang and dia, instead of the English “mum” and “dad”. Why do you think he makes this choice? Think about how you would read this differently if you were reading the word ‘mum’ instead of ‘niang’.

Admin
Admin

https://msjohnsonenglish.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Question Three Empty why does Li call his mum and dad niang and dia

Post  William Rankin Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:24 am

i think Li calls his parents niang and dia because it was tradition back then to call them that and it would have been just like us calling our parents mum and dad because we grow up with it.

William Rankin

Back to top Go down

Question Three Empty Chapter 2 Question 3

Post  Harry Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:15 pm

Li uses the chinese words dia and niang, instead of English "mum and "dad" because its translation of how we call our mum and dad but in chinese language. For example i call my grandpa and grandma "baba" and "deda".
Harry
Harry

Back to top Go down

Question Three Empty Question 3

Post  Zac Comley Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:40 pm

I think Li uses the Chinese words niang and dia, instead of the English “mum” and “dad” because when he was young everyone called there parents niang and dia because they where in china and that's what mum and dad is translated to in traditional Chinese. He makes this choice to make us now he was really Chinese and if we read mum or dad then we would think he was more foreign (European/American).
Zac Comley
Zac Comley

Back to top Go down

Question Three Empty Li uses the Chinese words niang and dia, instead of the English “mum” and “dad”. Why do you think he makes this choice? Think about how you would read this differently if you were reading the word ‘mum’ instead of ‘niang’.

Post  glovero Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:58 am

Li uses the Chinese words niang and dia, instead of the English “mum” and “dad”. Why do you think he makes this choice? Think about how you would read this differently if you were reading the word ‘mum’ instead of ‘niang’.

I think he uses these words to remind the readers that the story is set in Asia. But if he used the term mum and dad people might lose track and forget that the story is set in Asia. Also they are the names he would call his parent when he was little, so it is suitable to use those words because that is what he is used to.

glovero

Back to top Go down

Question Three Empty ANDOTRAIN's ANSWERS

Post  Andrew Sott Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:05 am

it sounds more Chinese and kiddy like mummy and Daddy and he probably grew up like that so it stuck in his head!!!!
Andrew Sott
Andrew Sott

Back to top Go down

Question Three Empty Re: Question Three

Post  Jerry Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:54 am

Li used Nia and Dia to specify that he is asian and he is born in a chinese community. but if he uses his mother and dad term like mum and dad will make people that are reading this book will think that the book is written from an english speaking/background person more than he is from China.
Jerry
Jerry

Back to top Go down

Question Three Empty Ben W's question 3

Post  Ben W Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:39 am

I think he uses these words because he has grown up with them and i think the writer has tried to make to book more facinating for the reader.

Ben W

Back to top Go down

Question Three Empty Answer to Question 3:

Post  Jonathan Fee Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:49 am

Li Cunxin speaks the langurage of their village 'Qingdoa Provits' compared to Beijing where they might call them mum and dad. There are many different ways to speak diffferent words in China, Li Cunxin speaks a little bit differently from people in Beijing.
Jonathan Fee
Jonathan Fee

Back to top Go down

Question Three Empty answer

Post  Duttonj Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:00 am

Li calls his mum and dad Niang and Dia because it is the traditional name for them in his village. Li also calls them that because Niang and Dia are the Chinese word for mum and dad so if he called them mum and dad people might forget that the story is set in Asia. bounce bounce
Duttonj
Duttonj

Back to top Go down

Post  BenJ Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:04 am

by him saying niang and dia insted of mum and dad it is reminding you that he is chinese and that the story is ploted in china. it is like how italian people that have lived in australia there whole live and speak english as there first language call there grandfather nonno insted of granddad or pa.

BenJ

Back to top Go down

Post  Liam Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:19 am

The Author uses the chinese words for 'mum' and 'dad' because he still lived in the chinese culture. He is probably more used to saying 'niang' and 'dia' when he was younger.
Liam
Liam

Back to top Go down

Question Three Empty Li uses the Chinese words niang and dia, instead of the English “mum” and “dad”. Why do you think he makes this choice? Think about how you would read this differently if you were reading the word ‘mum’ instead of ‘niang’.

Post  naylorm Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:51 am

1.Niang and Da is his natural way of talking because he was tort to call them that and his done it all his life. His Chinese so he would use the Chinese words.

2.I think if he called them mum and dad I would have a better understanding with them a lot more and automatically know what he’s talking about.

naylorm

Back to top Go down

Question Three Empty chapter 2 question 3

Post  Bryce Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:19 am

The author uses niang and dia instead of mum and dad to give effect showing how in Chinese cultures they use differen't words for the same meaning, as well as to show the story is based in a Asian suburb

Bryce

Back to top Go down

Post  jedd b Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:10 am

I think Li uses the word niang and dia because they are his parents and he wants to say it the way he wants. If i was reading it that way it would sound more English and more different than and get rid of the relationship given.

jedd b

Back to top Go down

Question Three Empty reply for question 3

Post  David J Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:22 pm

There could be lots of reason why Cunxin calls them Niang or Dia. He might be calling them in Chinese because he might want to represent himself that he is Chinese or he is so used to calling them in Chinese. He could be calling them Dia and Niang because he wanted the readers to know that this book was set in China and wanted us to know more about the book.
David J
David J

Back to top Go down

Question Three Empty chapter two quesiton three

Post  jackko Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:22 pm

Kids in Li’s family use the word “Niang and Dia” instead of calling “mum or dad”. I assume calling their parent’s name was once China’s traditional culture because his neither dad nor mum complains about them. For example, Li says ‘My niang fainted on the northern hill and cant get home. Please help her …..’ however, a man does not scold Li for calling niang.

jackko

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down