Ms Johnson's English
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Question Four

+11
David J
jackko
Bryce
William Rankin
Duttonj
naylorm
Ben W
Andrew Sott
Jonathan Fee
Harry
Admin
15 posters

Go down

Question Four Empty Question Four

Post  Admin Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:34 am

From page 59:
Then I heard someone shouting, ‘Yi, er, san!’, One, two, three…Guns fired. The sound ripped through my heart. I saw blood spatter everywhere. The bodies fell down. I screamed, and ran home as fast as I could.
Why does Li use short, sharp sentences here? What is the effect of his choice?

Admin
Admin

https://msjohnsonenglish.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Question Four Empty Chapter 4 Question 4

Post  Harry Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:57 pm

Li uses short and sharp sentences because i believe he was in a state of panic and shock at the time and wanted the reader to feel how he was feeling and how quick everything happened. It was a moment that terrified him and he wanted to let us know how he felt. The effect of Li's choice is that it makes us believe it was frightening, realistic and how scared he was at that time.
Harry
Harry

Back to top Go down

Question Four Empty Answer to Question 4:

Post  Jonathan Fee Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:30 am

From page 59:
Then I heard someone shouting, ‘Yi, er, san!’, One, two, three…Guns fired. The sound ripped through my heart. I saw blood spatter everywhere. The bodies fell down. I screamed, and ran home as fast as I could.

He uses short sharp sentences to make it dramatic, to make it sound like Li Cunxin is running and talking and running out of breath as he runs.
Almost everytime someone ways that it would infer that the persons running while the action's going on.
Jonathan Fee
Jonathan Fee

Back to top Go down

Question Four Empty ANDOTRAIN's ANSWERS

Post  Andrew Sott Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:10 am

because it gets exiting and fun to read also if you were in a situation you wouldn't use long and boring language
Andrew Sott
Andrew Sott

Back to top Go down

Question Four Empty Ben W's question 4

Post  Ben W Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:18 am

Li uses short sharp sentences to make the reader like it more and to make the story more enjoyable for the reader. The part of the story also has a lot of action and it makes the story more enjoyable.

Ben W

Back to top Go down

Question Four Empty From page 59: Then I heard someone shouting, ‘Yi, er, san!’, One, two, three…Guns fired. The sound ripped through my heart. I saw blood spatter everywhere. The bodies fell down. I screamed, and ran home as fast as I could.

Post  naylorm Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:18 pm

It makes the reader more interested and makes them want to read on to see what happens next. If you used long sentences the reader wouldn’t see how scary it would be.

naylorm

Back to top Go down

Question Four Empty answer

Post  Duttonj Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:21 pm

Li uses short sharp sentences to show the drama of what was happening it puts people on edge a little bit.
Duttonj
Duttonj

Back to top Go down

Question Four Empty answer

Post  William Rankin Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:51 pm

i think Li has used this method to cause suspense among the readers and to make them read faster so we can feel like he was feeling scared and shocked it also shows how scared Li is.

William Rankin

Back to top Go down

Question Four Empty Re: Question Four

Post  Bryce Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:23 pm

Li uses sharp sentences to give affect a realistic effect showing how all of this happens so fast that you can't even tell whats going on around you.

Bryce

Back to top Go down

Question Four Empty chapter four question four

Post  jackko Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:31 pm

By the time, Li would have been in a state of shock and frightening, and I see that’s the reason why he had chosen a short sentence also he is showing us how scary moment he was in and how fast everything was happening. The sentence makes me feel like he was in a horrified moment that he had to say it short to be safe.

jackko

Back to top Go down

Question Four Empty Reply to Question 4

Post  David J Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:27 am

When Li was in the situation of someone getting killed front of their eyes, he would have beed shocked and scared. He used short and sharp words to tell people how scared he was, and to make the situation more realistic.
David J
David J

Back to top Go down

Post  jedd b Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:28 pm

From page 59:

Li uses short sharp sentences because he wants to show all of his emotion and he was very scared and when he says the sound ripped through my heart it could mean sort of like a bullet ripping through the heart.

jedd b

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:03 pm

Li use sharp and short words to exadrate gunshot being fired with the short 3 seconds for execution, he is in a state of panic because of the aftershock of people being shot in the head.
Jerry
Jerry

Back to top Go down

Post  BenJ Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:07 am

the reason he uses short sentences is to create the feel of panic or fear, like if someone was running away from some one and they were being helped by some one they would say very short senectaces to let the other person know on the shortes amount of time that they can

BenJ

Back to top Go down

Question Four Empty Question 4

Post  Zac Comley Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:00 am

Li uses short, sharp sentences because he was scared and shocked and I think he wanted to make the reader feel the same as he does. Making it short and shape sentences made it sound like it was sudden and was scary. It’s a great effect he used.
Zac Comley
Zac Comley

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down